Albert Mestres Sugrañes
Albert was born in 1987 in Barcelona, Catalonia (Spain). He has pursued the M.S. degree in Telecommunications Engineering from the Escola Tècnica Superior d'Enginyeria de Telecomunicació (ETSETB) and the M.S. degree in Computer Science from the Facultat d'Informàtica de Barcelona (FIB). Both degrees carried out simultaneously, in the framework of a special program of studies directed to a reduced group of students coordinated by Centre de Formació Interdisciplinària Superior (CFIS), an institution belonging to the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), in Barcelona.
He collaborated the from December 2007 until December 2010 within Departament de Teoria del Senyal i Comunicacions (TSC) (UPC), doing different tasks: developing communication simulators, developing software, server administrator...
He carried out his Master Thesis in the Broadband Wireless Networking Lab under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Ian F. Akyildiz. The Broadband Wireless Networking Lab belongs to the department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, within the Georgia Institute of Technology (GaTech).
From 2012 until June 2013 he completed the Master of Science in Information and Communication Technologies (MINT), also in the UPC, Barcelona.
In July 2012, he joined the Nanonetworking Center in Catalunya (N3Cat) at UPC, where he is currently pursuing a PhD in Computer Architecture under the supervision of Dr. Eduard Alarcón and Dr. Albert Cabellos-Aparicio. His research interests lie in the fields of nanonetworks, graphene-enabled wireless communications and ultra short range communications within a chip.
- Molecular Nanonetworks: Communication among nano-machines, by means of molecules and bacteria. Project Description
- GWC: Graphene-enabled Wireless Communications: GWC advocate for the use of graphene-based plasmonic antennas in order to communicate in the ultra-short range in order to obtain a high data rate. Project Description
- Machine Learning in Networking: Improve the performance of computer networks by means of machine learning techiques.
- A. Mestres, S. Abadal, I. Llatser, H. Lee, E. Alarcón and A. Cabellos-Aparicio "Pulse interspersing in static multipath chip environments for Impulse Radio communications." Nano Communication Networks, 2016
- S. Abadal, I. Llatser, A. Mestres, H. Lee, E. Alarcón and A. Cabellos-Aparicio"Time-Domain Analysis of Graphene-based Miniaturized Antennas for Ultra-short-range Impulse Radio Communications." IEEE Transactions on Communications (vol. 63), Abtril 2015
- I. Llatser, A. Mestres, S. Abadal, E. Alarcón, H. Lee and A. Cabellos-Aparicio "Time and Frequency Domain Analysis of Molecular Absorption in Short-range Terahertz Communications." IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters (vol. 14), February 2015
- S. Abadal, I. Llatser, A. Mestres, J. Solé, E. Alarcón and A. Cabellos-Aparicio "Fundamentals of Graphene-enabled Wireless On-Chip Networking." Molecular and Nanoscale Communicacions, Springer Publishing, 2014
- S. Abadal, A. Mestres, I. Llatser, E. Alarcón, and A. Cabellos-Aparicio "A Vertical Methodology for the Design Space Exploration of Graphene-enabled Wireless Communications." Proceedings of the NANOCOM 2015
- S. Abadal, A. Mestres, R. Martínez, E. Alarcón, and A. Cabellos-Aparicio "Multicast On-Chip Traffic Analysis Targeting Manycore NoC Design." 23rdConf.on Parallel,Distributed and Network-based Processing
- S. Abadal, A. Mestres, M. Iannazzo, J. Solé, E. Alarcón, and A. Cabellos "Evaluating the Feasibility of Wireless Networks-on-Chip Enabled by Graphene."7th Workshop on Network-on-Chip Architectures, 2014
- G. Piro, S. Abadal, A. Mestres, E. Alarcón, J. Solé, L. Grieco, G. Boggia, "Initial MAC Exploration for Graphene-enabled Wireless Networks-on-Chip." ACM Nanoscale Computing and Communication, 2014
- I. Llatser, S. Abadal, A. Mestres, A. Cabellos-Aparicio and E. Alarcón, "Graphene-enabled Wireless Networks-on-Chip." Conference on Comm and Networking (BlackSeaCom), 2013
- M. Cabrera Bean, A. Mestres, C. Vargas Berzosa and F. Vargas Berzosa, "Virtual Analog and Digital Communications Laboratory: LAVICAD: On line interactive tool for learning communications systems." 2010 IEEE Engineering Education Conference - IEEE EDUCON, Madrid (Spain), April 2010.
Honors and Awards
- Bancaja international Fellowship awarded to outstanding graduate students in the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), to conduct graduate research in the USA, 2011.
- Second Best Academic Record in Telecommunications engineering (Year 2012).
- EVERIS award award for the best CFIS student in telecommunications-computer science (Year 2012)