I obtained the PhD in Computer Science at the Technical University of Catalonia in Barcelona, Spain in 2011. I have been working under
the supervision of my advisors, Dr. Felix Freitag and Dr. Leandro Navarro.
Before the PhD, I received a French-German double diploma at the University of Mannheim and the Nice Sophia Antipolis University. I made my Master's Thesis in cooperation with the Institut Eurécom.
Until now, I am part of the Distributed Systems Group which is a part of the Computer Architecture Department.
The goal of my research is to develop practical techniques for large-scale distributed systems applied to finance and economic, including the development and evaluation of a Distributed Market Information System (DMIS)
- Cloud Computing and Grid Computing
- Content Mangement Systems
- Distributed Systems
- Economic-based Systems
- René Brunner, Felix Freitag, Leandro Navarro and Omer F. Rana. Self-adaptive Approximate Queries for Large-scale Information Aggregation. Accepted for publication in the International Journal of Web and Grid Services (IJWGS), (Impact Factor: 0.978). 2012. [BibTeX]
- René Brunner, Agustín Caminero, Omer F. Rana, Felix Freitag and
Leandro Navarro. Network-aware Summarisation for Resource Discovery in
P2P-Content Networks. Future Generation Computer Systems (FGCS), Volume 28, Issue 3, March 2012, Pages 563-572, (Impact Factor: 2.365). 2012. [BibTeX]
- René Brunner, Felix Freitag and Leandro Navarro. Self-regulation of Timeliness, Messages and Accuracy in Large-scale Information Aggregation. The 14th International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems (NBiS), Pages 258-267, IEEE Computer Society. 2011. [BibTeX]
Nikolay Borissov, René Brunner, Dirk Neumann, Felix Freitag, Leandro Navarro and Christof Weinhardt. Fostering Efficiency of Computational Resource Allocation - Integrating Information Services into Markets. 17th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), 2009. [BibTeX]
René Brunner, Felix Freitag and Leandro Navarro.
Uncertainty Management for the Retrieval of Economic Information from Distributed Markets. Second International Conference on Scalable Uncertainty Management, pp. 106-119, volume 5291, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Napoli, Italy, 2008. [BibTeX]
René Brunner, Felix Freitag and Leandro Navarro. Towards the Development of a Decentralized Market Information System: Requirements and Architecture. Parallel and Distributed Computing in Finance (PDCoF'08). In Proceedings of the 22nd IPDPS, Miami, FL, USA, pp. 1-7, 2008. [BibTeX]
Xavier Leon, Xavier Vilajosana, René Brunner, Ruby Krishnaswamy, Leandro Navarro Felix Freitag and J. M. Marques. Information and regulation in decentralized
marketplaces for P2P-Grids. Collaborative Peer-to-Peer Systems (COPS) in proccedings of WETICE ,
Pablo Chacin, Xavier Léon, René Brunner, Felix Freitag and Leandro Navarro.
Core Services for Grid Markets. CGSYMP in proceedings of Europar, 2008. [BibTeX]
Ruby Krishnaswamy, Leandro Navarro, René Brunner, Xavier Léon and Xavier Vilajosana.
Core Services for Grid Markets. 5th International Workshop on Grid Economics and Business Model (GECON'08), pp. 197-207, volume 5206, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2008. [BibTeX]
René Brunner. Towards the Development of a Decentralized Market Information System. (Poster) IPDPS TCPP PhD Forum, 2008. [BibTeX]
- Isaac Chao, René Brunner, Felix Freitag, Leandro Navarro, Pablo Chacin, Oscar Ardaiz, Liviu Joita, Omer F. Rana. Decentralized grid Market Infrastructure for Service Oriented Grids. Special
Issue (01/2008) on Service-Oriented Architectures and Web Services, in
Journal WIRTSCHAFTSINFORMATIK (Business Informatics), Germany, 2008. [BibTeX]
- René Brunner, Isaac Chao, Pablo Chacin, Felix Freitag, Leandro Navarro, Oscar Ardaiz, Liviu Joita, Omer F. Rana. Assessing a Distributed Market Infrastructure for Economics-Based Service Selection. International Conference on Grid computing, High-Performance and Distributed Applications (GADA'07). OTM Conferences (2) 1403-1416. 2007. [BibTeX]
- René Brunner, Felix Freitag. Elaborating a Decentralized Market Information System, 4th OTM Academy Doctoral Consortium (DC'07), OTM Workshops (1) 245-254, 2007. [BibTeX]
- Fernando Rodríguez-Haro, Felix Freitag, Leandro Navarro, René Brunner. Exploring the Behaviour of Fine-Grain Management for Virtual Resource Provisioning. 7th International Conference on Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics (PPAM'2007), 2007. [BibTeX]
Felix Freitag, Pablo Chacin, Isac Chao, René Brunner, Leandro Navarro, Oscar Ardaiz. Performance Measuring Framework for Grid Market Middleware. 4th European Performance Engineering Workshop (EPEW 2007), p. 141-153. 2007. [BibTeX]
René Brunner. A performance evaluation of the Kad-protocol. Master Thesis at Institut Eurécom and Universität Mannheim. 2006
P2PGRID project is focused on the design of innovative large scale distributed systems,
decentralized, able to adapt to complex environments - in terms of infrastructure or use-
and heterogeneous in the access to communication and computation resources.
Grid4All aims at enabling domestic users, non-profit organisations
such as schools, and small enterprises, to share their resources and to
access massive Grid resources when needed, envisioning a future in
which access to resources is democratised, readily available,
cooperative, and inexpensive.
Development of methods and tools for an efficient market-based
allocation of resources, through a self-organizing resource management
system, using market-driven models supported by extensions for Grid
infrastructures. IST European Project
Evaluation of the Catallaxy paradigm for decentralized operation of
dynamic application networks. FET IST European Project (2004-2007).
- University of Mannheim (2000-2006), Germany
Degree: Diplom-Wirtschaftsinformatiker (equivalent to a Masters Degree in Information Systems)
Majors: Information Systems, Computer Science, Logistics
- Nice Sophia Antipolis University (2003-2005), France
Degree: Maîtrise MIAGE
- A-Levels (Abitur), Max-Weber-Schule, Sinsheim (1999), Germany
Majors: Economics, Mathematics
- Cardiff University:Feb. 2010 - April. 2010: Research Exchange at the Distributed Collaborative Computing Group:
of content summaries to provide distributed and scalable information
provision in computational Grid and Cloud environments.
- Facultat d'informàtica de Barcelona:Sep. 2008 - Jan. 2010: Tutor: Projecte de Xarxes de Computadors
- Institut Eurécom:Mai. 2006 - Oct. 2006: Master's Thesis at Institut Eurécom (France):
my master thesis at a communication research center. The subject is the
analysis of the new P2P Kademlia protocol.This contained the creation
of a SQL integrated C++ application on a Unix platform.
- Robert BOSCH GmbH:Oct. 2005 - Feb. 2006: Internship at Robert BOSCH GmbH (Germany):
Developing of an entire Database including a C# application to manage and visualize engineering data
- IBM CER: Feb. 2005 - Aug. 2005: Internship at IBM La Gaude CER (France):
(Web, J2EE, Portal and Eclipse Plugins) on the Environment 'Wireless
Device Management' with IBM Rational Application Developer.
- SAP Labs France: Oct. 2004 - Feb. 2005: Integrated internship at SAP Labs France (France):
Migration of a portal application to a Web Dynpro Application with SAP Netweaver
- Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems
- 18th IEEE International Workshops on Infrastructures for Collaborative Enterprises (WetIce)
- Europar 2009 und 2010
- Organisation commite of 23rd Open Grid Forum
- Organisation Commite of the XVIII Jornadas de Concurrencia y Sistemas Distribuidos
- 04/2008 - 04/2011: AGAUR PhD fellowship from the Catalan government
- 02/2010 - 04/2010: Grant for the research exchange at the Cardiff University
- 06/2008: Grant for the 23rd Open Grid Forum
- 05/2008: IEEE TCPP award for the PhD thesis proposal
- 09/2003 - 06/2004: Sokrates/Erasmus fellowship
Dr. René Brunner
Polytechnic University of Catalonia
Computer Architecture Department
Despatx C6-E208 Campus Nord
C. Jordi Girona 1-3
08034 Barcelona (Spain)
Tel: +34 934011655